Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s theme:
Top Ten Inspiring Quotes From Books
(Anything that inspires you, challenges you, makes you think, encourages you, etc.)
*These are in no particular order
1. “But I live on an island where every day is almost the same as the day before and the day after. The temperature stays hot. The trees are always green. The birds don’t visit us here, unless you count the chickens. Even the dry season isn’t so different from the rainy season.”
– Kimberly Willis Holt, Keeper Of The Night
– I was born and raised on Guam. It is a beautiful island that I sometimes miss very much. It was the setting for Keeper Of The Night and reading that book made me feel like I was home for a little while.
2. “I was always able to lose myself in reading. Books were a necessary escape I always gladly jumped into headfirst.”
-Jennifer L. Armentrout, Obsidian
– I think we’ve all felt this way about reading at some point or another.
3. “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep it’s edge.”
-George R.R. Martin, A Game Of Thrones
– One of my favorite quotes form the entire series.
4. “Someday we will be more than words in the dark”
-Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes
-My favorite quote from one of my favorite books. This quote and the entire scene gave me chills and that doesn’t happen often.
5. “Books say she did this because. Life says she did this. Books are where things are explained to you; life is where things aren’t. I’m not surprised some people prefer books. Books make sense of life. The only problem is that the lives they make sense of are other people’s never your own.”
– Julian Barnes, Flaubert’s Parrot
– I came across this quote quite a while ago and it’s stuck with me ever since.
6. “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his perspective… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
-Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbord
– This is a lesson so many people could learn from and something I am constantly trying to remember.
7. “One must always be careful of books,” Said Tessa, “and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
-Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
– Books have the power to change us and most often, I believe, for the better.
8. “Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake.”
– Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes
– Did I already mention this was one of my favorite books. I tried to keep it to one quote from this book, but I just couldn’t. I love this quote so much.
9. “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
– George R.R. Martin, A Game Of Thrones
– I love this quote. This is another lesson that so many people could benefit from, myself included.
10. “If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
– Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
– A quote to live by.